Rodd" was still depicted as an active
airfield on the 1949 Corpus Christi Sectional
Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy), and was
described as having a 5,100' hard-surface
runway. Rodd Field was closed at some point
after 1949, and was declared excess in 1958.
General Services Administration sold portions
of the property to several private parties
in 1960. GSA transferred 136 acres of the
northern portion of the base to NASA in 1964,
which established the Texas Manned Space Flight
Network Tracking Station at the site.
Texas MSFN Tracking Station opened in 1967,
and was operated by the Bendix Field Engineering
Corporation.The station's administrative offices
were located in one of the former Navy hangars,
referred to as the main operations building.
In addition to the administration offices,
the hangar housed telemetry systems, command
system, computers, and other communications
one mile south of the hangar was the VHF Acquisition
Aid equipment.The Unified S-Band system &
power generating equipment were located a
half mile north of the hangar. During the
Apollo Program, this Texas station acted as
a remote station, remoting telemetry data,
tracking information, and voice communications
to MCCH in Houston.
also acted as an uplink facility between the
lunar vehicles & the MCCH Control Center.By
the time of the July 1969 Brownsville Sectional
Chart (courtesy of Chris Kennedy), the airfield
at Rodd was no longer depicted at all.
The NASA facility
was closed by 1974, at which point their property
was transferred back to GSA, and subsequently
conveyed in 1980 to the City of Corpus Christi,
which built Bill Witt Park. The park still
exists today on that part of the property.
A visit to the site in 2001 by Jeffery Sternberg
provided an update of the status of Rodd.
Most of the ramp area also still exists, as
well as one of the three hangars (which is
in an advanced state of deterioration).The
street grid & a number of small concrete
buildings still exists.
Most of the
runways have been removed, with the exception
of an 800' segment of the east/west runway
(visible as a white line in the above aerial
photo, north of the baseball diamonds), which
is currently used as a parking lot for the
It is said
to be haunted by the spirit of a military
man that hung himself from the rafters of
the hangar . And of a young girl that fell
to her death from the catwalk.The man has
been seen looking out, of the now broken windows
of the old hangar.
ADVISES AGAINST ANYONE GOING INTO THIS BUILDING
. IT IS VERY DILAPITATED AND COULD BE VERY
Of the Photos Courtesy Of Jason Grant - Archives